there are many serious reasons I chose the title. The book is a direct challenge of our biggest assumptions about work:
- Can an organization be productive without email? WordPress.com claimed to be.
- What work traditions no longer serve us?
- Do we need dress codes? 9 to 5 working hours? Are hour long commutes worth it?
- Are teams and managers necessary? Why? Until I arrived, WordPress.com had neither.
- Can I, as a “management expert”, successfully manage a team again?
- What new fangled things are younger companies doing and do they matter?
- How much of my own advice from my books and this blog do I actually practice?
I think the business world takes itself far too seriously and it’s a problem. It’s only when we strip away some of our assumptions that we can figure out what works and why.
Being naked means you have nothing to hide. I did this project to challenge our biggest assumptions about work, management and what the future will be like.